Sunday 22 April 2012

Gothic folly

Today we drove around London to visit Knole Park, a National Trust stately home known amongst other things for being the home of the famous Knole sofa.  Before we went inside, we went for a walk around the extensive deer park (lots of deer running around tame) and came across this Gothic Folly called 'The Birdhouse', built in 1761 originally to house an aviary.  But later it became a private home for an estate worker.  How cool is this?  I love all the turrets and the sticky-out bits and the central roofline - I bet there are one or two really great bedrooms up there with slanted ceilings.  And their shed seems to be behind a facade making it look like a grotto. I would love to see inside both buildings!



3 comments:

  1. I would be all over that place! How fantastic it would be to have something called a "folly" on your property, right? Such an imaginative little building. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an interesting building - I agree, it would be great to be able to go inside and have a good look around. So many possibilities for miniatures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Let me know what you think.